Tuesday 26 April 2011

Movie Meme - Horror

It's Horror this week over at Hannah's blog.

This week she wants films that scare us.  I wouldn't say I get scared too much by horror movies (not like my wussy husband).  I'm not a huge fan of all the ones that are full of guts and gore that's for sure.  I love the creepy ones, the ones with atmosphere like Jacobs Ladder, The Exorcist, Poltergeist and Stir of Echoes to name but a few.

The film I've chosen for this week, like Hannah, is one that scared me when I was younger.  I can remember watching it on TV with my Mum and my older Sister when Dad was on night shift and I think I ended up in Mums bed for about a week!

It just happens to be an 80's film so maybe my love for 80's movies extends to this genre too.

My choice...The Thing.

Released in 1982 and directed by great John Carpenter who also directed Christine (another horror I love) it stars a young Kurt Russell in the lead role as MacReady who is part of an American science team in the Antarctic. The film starts in the cold mist with some Norwegians chasing a dog and trying to kill it but they fail. Later the dog starts attacking the other dogs and so 'The Thing' starts to move and mutate throughout the compound.

Being made in 1982 the effects aren't the best but it's full of atmosphere (and gore too) and the fact that you don't know 'who' has been taken over by The Thing makes it even more terrifying.

The classic moment in this film and the one that still scares me when I think about it now is the bit when they are trying to resuscitate a guy.  I remember it so clearly, the chest opening, the teeth, The Thing appearing but the worst part is the screams and the noise that goes with the scene. It's terrifying (well, it was to me when I was younger) and the head detaching itself, using it's tongue to drag itself then growing legs and running away like a freaking spider!

It's only 8am and I'm scaring myself.  Maybe I need to watch it again now I'm older and it won't haunt me as much.  For the moment I'm off to grab a cushion and get a cuddle from my husband.

Apparently they've made a sequel which is due for release this year.  I bet it won't be half as scary.

What's your favourite?  Head over to Hannah's blog and link up...


11 comments:

Bloggomy said...

Good choice - will have to make a list of this weeks suggestions and rewatch them all - horror fest!!

Metal Mummy said...

Awesome choice. I don't think I'll even bother watching the sequel. It'll ruin it I reckon.

John Carpenter rocks.

And Stir of Echoes is fab! x

Moi said...

Oh my, I hate horror films - they seriously give me nightmares so I haven't watched one since the 90s, so no doubt it will be one of those.

Anonymous said...

Great choice. Another which scared me as a child!

Inside the Wendy House said...

The runaway head was just genius...love The Thing!

Jenny said...

This is a classic horror film and is good, but like the film I chose (also an 80's one!) , just looks dated now due to the plasticine sfx! However, would be great if they re-made it now!

Mari's World said...

I went to see The Thing at the cinema with my boyfriend back then and at one point I jumped out of my seat and screamed. I have never been so scared in all my life and I don't watch horror movies anymore - give me love anyday!

QWERTY Mum said...

The freaky head spider thing can still give me the creeps if I imagine it in the dark x

Mummy and the Beastie said...

I was at work *stamps feet* when I read your post briefly. I remember this film well and have no idea why I was watching it at the age I did (with my parents) but it freaked me out! x

Anonymous said...

Great choice! Proper scary film.

Unknown said...

Thanks ladies. I think I need to watch it again now and hopefully at the age of 36 I won't be hiding behind the cushion!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...