Thursday 3 February 2011

Football Is Not A Funny Old Game

Photo credit: renjith krishnan
As I sit here typing furiously (and I mean furiously!) on my laptop I'm listening to my husband ringing clients and suppliers...

"Yeah, I fractured my ankle last night *laughs*"

I can only assume at this point they say "Oh no, poor you.  Is it painful?"

"Yeah it's pretty painful *laughs again*"

I'm sat here looking for the nearest blunt instrument to stab him with.

You may think I'm really mean and unsympathetic.  You'd be right on the lack of sympathy.  I have none for him.  But I'm certainly not mean.  He did it playing football. A sport which has hampered our lives previously but still he continues to play.

About 4 years ago he broke his wrist.  I was at the gym at the time and didn't have my phone with me so the first I knew about it was when I pulled up at our house to discover two blokes in football kits on my driveway waiting for me.  They'd driven my husband's car home as he'd been whisked off in an ambulance.

I ran into the house, fed the dog and dashed to A&E to discover him sitting in a wheelchair white as a sheet with what I can only describe as the most distorted arm ever.  Even looking at it made me feel sick.  He had to stay in hospital and have an operation where it was pinned.   He couldn't do much for months.

I asked him to stop playing football.  He didn't.

Last year he broke his leg.  He actually didn't end up in plaster as he went to the hospital and they said he'd not broken it and didn't even bother to give him an x-ray.  He was in agony for months with it until finally another hospital x-rayed it to discover he had infact broken it.  It was too late to plaster as the bone had already started to heal.

I asked him to stop playing football.  He didn't.

Then last night, I hear the key turn in the door and I wait for the sound of limping (I do this every week as he usually comes home with some small injury).  All I heard was "shit ow" from downstairs.  Then I heard him hobbling to get up the stairs.  "I think I've broken my ankle".  Great.

A phone call to my parents to babysit, a trip to A&E, x-ray, plaster, 4 hours later we are back home in bed.  He's going to be in plaster for 4-6 weeks and can't put any weight on it whatsoever.   That means him doing very little as he's on crutches.  He can't carry our daughter, he can't drive, he can't take a shower without my help, we can't be 'intimate' properly, he is pretty much incapable of doing anything.

I'm not going to bother to ask him to stop playing football.  I'm tired of this game.

The only joy I am going to glean from this is the fact that his mother will hit the roof when she finds out.

Every cloud.......

13 comments:

Trish said...

I've got one of those!!

My husband is a volleyball player and is getting too old for it, as he hobbles in every week after a game with some bit of his body in pain. He thinks he is 21 and can still leap about the court - unfortunately his poor old bod can't keep up.

I think it's his shoulder this week but I wasn't really listening! ;-)

Alysonsblog said...

*sigh* we have along running argument in our house about shotguns.. Runs along same idea as yours. If I have learnt one thing in this life you can't *make* a man give up anything they love, they aren't like us when it comes to seeing the greater good, or doing the *right* thing, it's a selfish gene that just seems to be ingrained, you have my sympathy

myevil3yearold said...

Well, I AM probably mean but I don't feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for you! What little work him being a guy allowed him to do around the house is out the window and he will probably remind you of this several times a day. I hope for a speedy recovery for your sake!

Unknown said...

Hubbies "footie Career" (local company teams lol ) ended last year when he cracked a bone is his ankle the subsequent depression was probably worse than him not being able to play.... Football nights are now on the couch though and no more injuries to deal with : ) : )....

Inside the Wendy House said...

Oh no :( My poor sister in law has the exact same thing with her husband. Multiple injuries, weeks off work, financial hardship because he ends on on Statutory Sick Pay...and still he plays. They really should give up when their hobby impacts negatively on other people! Thankfully, my husband is a sports hating big girl's blouse!!!

MichelleTwinMum said...

lol at you laughing at the MIL finding out. Let'shope hubbie learns his lesson this time!

Mich x

Unknown said...

Thanks ladies for your sympathy. I tell you, the sudden realisation kicked in last night of what impact this had had on our lives. 4-6 weeks of me doing everything. Matt usually baths my daughter for me and helps put her to bed too. I guess I'm lucky that I have a husband that helps out so much as I know some don't. Damn football!!!!

Him Up North said...

I can see your POV. It must be incredibly annoying to have an invalid alongside everything else. Boys play rough though. What can I say? :)

kateab said...

He must be very unlucky or reckless. I don't think I've ever heard of people getting that many serious fractures like that.

I knew there was a reason I didn't like doing competitive sport. ;)

Emma said...

Oh no, I feel sorry for you! I get annoyed at times about how much my hubby is out playing pool but at least that's safer!

New Mum Online said...

Sad story but brilliantly written.

I found you through Silent Sunday

Anonymous said...

I have no sympathy either! Men are right bloody planks sometimes! x

Matt said...

Bah you girlies just don't understand!

Maybe one more game....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...